Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Day 4

Day 4: Gold Beach - Orick
Time: 7:38:31
Distance: 155km
Average Speed: 20.3km/h

Today's goal was to finish as close to Eureka as possible​. I woke at 5 and went for breakfast with Dan and Dale from Napa. Dan was taking his son's stuff home from Portland where he was studying and Dale was joining to see the highway 101.

The first few hours were never flat but the tailwind was so strong that it felt like I had a motor. I stopped in Brookings for early lunch and sorted out the details for my weekend at the bottlerock festival in Napa with Subway's WiFi. Subway has been a daily stop for me. Eat, charge the phone, natural break, fill the water bottles in only one stop. 

I continued on to Crescent City. The roads became poor in California compared with Oregon where a Fiat would fit comfortably in the shoulder. Crescent City was a bit dodgy looking so I didn't stay long.

My plan was to pass through the Newton B Drury scenic parkway through a redwood forest. Once I reached Klamath I realized that I had no phone or Internet connection. This continued until Orick where I'll stay tonight.

The ride through the woods had a huge climb but much more descent. The road is off 101 so most of the time it was just me and the giant trees. Definitely worth veering off 101 to see this and no extra miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment