Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Day 3

Day 3: Sunset Beach State Park - Gold Beach
Time: 6:11:45
Distance: 134.5km
Average Speed: 21.7km/h

I woke at 5 and was on the road at 6. The first 20km were on the very hilly 7 Devils road. After getting on to the 101 again I reached the beautiful town of Bandon where I made plans for the coming days. 

The final destination for this trip is Napa but with the amount of climbing to be done time is tight so I'll stop cycling in Eureka, California and bus down to San Francisco.

Today's tailwind was very strong. I had to turn back on only 2 occasions today (once when a jersey fell off my lo-tech clothes dryer and the other when I made a wrong turn for the motel. Both times I appreciated how​ lucky I was not to be riding North. Just after Port Orford a cyclist across the road with double the amount of bags as me was walking his bike. I stopped to offer to help repair something but he said the bike was fine and he was just sick of cycling into the headwind.

I arrived in Gold Beach at around 5 and checked into the motel 6 to shower and sleep properly after 2 nights in the State Parks. At the motel 2 lads from Napa on a road trip that started in Portland offered to drive me the rest of the way. When I was having dinner they happened to be in the same place and we got talking again. They told a group of elderly people I was Irish and after chatting with them for a while we took some photos. When I asked for my bill the waitress told me the elderly people had taken care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment