Sunday, May 21, 2017

Day 1

Day 1: Portland (Tualatin) - Newport
Time: 7:07:00
Distance: 168km
Average Speed: 23.6km/h

I've been in Seattle for the last week with work (Tableau). Along with these 2 gentlemen below (John and Giovanni) we drove to Portland Saturday morning (thanks for driving Giovanni) and explored the city for the day. Today we drove out to the suberb of Tualatin where I could start the trip and avoid​ the worst of the traffic coming out of Portland.

I took a mix of the 99w and 18 most of the day passing wineries at first and then forests before getting on to highway 101. After the first 40km I stopped at a McDonald's for a cheese burger and called my girlfriend Valentina. As I was unlocking my bike to leave the cleaner told me that he was very confident I'd make it to Newport.

25km later I had my first puncture. A tiny sharp piece of metal broke through the back tire. It was a routine fix and I was on my way again soon. Other than that the bike ran really well today. I stopped for lunch about 80km in and didn't stop again until Newport other than to fill water bottles.

Newport is the headquarters of rogue beer so I stopped there for dinner. The menu said they had the best burger in the world. I arrived at the campsite at South Beach before 9. Huge campsite with hot showers. After today's last 40km of cliff and sea views I'm looking forward to tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment