Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Day 2

Day 2: Newport (South Beach State Park) - Sunset Beach State Park
Time: 8:06:53
Distance: 167.6km
Average Speed: 20.7km/h

Cycling from North to South has been working out great. Most of the day I enjoyed a tail wind. Despite the favourable wind today wasn't too easy. The road was rarely flat but the climbs, while long, weren't too steep. For the first part of the journey I was high up on the cliffs watching the waves crash against the shore. Afterwards I passed through the Oregon sand dunes area so I didn't see much of the sea.

I wasn't sure where I'd sleep tonight but I had looked up a few campsites near Coos Bay. About 25km out of Newport I stopped at a bike shop to get my tires up to proper pressure. The small pump that I've packed only goes as far as 80psi and I need around 100psi. The owner recommended Sunset Beach which was another 140km away. This became my target for the day.

At a second bike shop in Florence I met a German who has been cycling around the world for the last 6 years. He invited me to lift up his bike and with a lot of effort I could just about get it off the ground. Poor man was riding the opposite way and so into the wind all day.

A construction worker stopping traffic outside Reedsport recommended Don's in the center of town for food. Dutch apple pie was top of the range.

The next 3 days look like they'll have more climbing and I'm​ seriously thinking I may have planned a longer route than I'm able for. Will give it another go again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment